[Numpy-discussion] IDL vs Python parallel computing

Francesc Alted faltet at gmail.com
Mon May 5 11:02:53 EDT 2014

On 5/3/14, 11:56 PM, Siegfried Gonzi wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I noticed IDL uses at least 400% (4 processors or cores) out of the box
> for simple things like reading and processing files, calculating the
> mean etc.
>
> I have never seen this happening with numpy except for the linalgebra
> stuff (e.g lapack).

Well, this might be because it is the place where using several
processes makes more sense.  Normally, when you are reading files, the
bottleneck is the I/O subsystem (at least if you don't have to convert
from text to numbers), and for calculating the mean, normally the
bottleneck is memory throughput.

Having said this, there are several packages that work on top of NumPy
that can use multiple cores when performing numpy operations, like
numexpr (https://github.com/pydata/numexpr), or Theano
(http://deeplearning.net/software/theano/tutorial/multi_cores.html)

--
Francesc Alted