[Numpy-discussion] IDL vs Python parallel computing

Frédéric Bastien nouiz at nouiz.org
Wed May 7 20:48:20 EDT 2014

Just a quick question/possibility.

What about just parallelizing ufunc with only 1 inputs that is c or fortran
contiguous like trigonometric function? Is there a fast path in the ufunc
mechanism when the input is fortran/c contig? If that is the case, it would
be relatively easy to add an openmp pragma to parallelize that loop, with a
condition to a minimum number of element.

Anyway, I won't do it. I'm just outlining what I think is the most easy
case(depending of NumPy internal that I don't now enough) to implement and
I think the most frequent (so possible a quick fix for someone with the
knowledge of that code).

In Theano, we found in a few CPUs for the addition we need a minimum of
200k element for the parallelization of elemwise to be useful. We use that
number by default for all operation to make it easy. This is user
configurable. This warenty that with current generation, the threading
don't slow thing down. I think that this is more important, don't show user
slow down by default with a new version.

Fred

On Wed, May 7, 2014 at 2:27 PM, Julian Taylor <jtaylor.debian at googlemail.com