[Numpy-discussion] ANN: PyViennaCL 1.0.3 -- very easy GPGPU linear algebra

Matthew Brett matthew.brett at gmail.com
Sun May 18 15:38:58 EDT 2014

Hi,

On Sun, May 18, 2014 at 10:05 AM, Toby St Clere Smithe
<pyviennacl at tsmithe.net> wrote:
> Hi JB,
>
> Marquette Jean-Baptiste <marquett at iap.fr> writes:
>> I could contribute, though I just opened an issue about a compilation
>> error on Mavericks 10.9.3. Curiously, the source install seems OK on
>> Lion 10.7.5
>
> Great! The issue is because Mavericks has a more recent version of clang
> than Lion, and the recent version baulks at something technical in
> boost's C++ usage that I can't quite be bothered to understand. Anyway,
> I've cherry-picked a fix, if you'd like to try building from git.
>
> If that works, then we could probably cheat, and call that build 1.0.3
> as well, since there are no material changes to PyViennaCL itself. Would
> you be happy to build Python wheels? It's very simple: just `setup.py
> bdist_wheel` if you have the wheel module installed.

That works for me with the patch.

I suggest building the wheel against the python.org python; the wheel
is then compatible with system python, homebrew etc - see :

https://github.com/MacPython/wiki/wiki/Spinning-wheels

I then rename the wheel to express the fact it is compatible with
these versions, with something like the attached script.

This ends up renaming the default output wheel:

pyviennacl-1.0.3-cp27-none-macosx_10_6_intel.whl

to this:

pyviennacl-1.0.3-cp27-none-macosx_10_6_intel.macosx_10_9_intel.macosx_10_9_x86_64.whl

Here are checks showing that this build / rename process does in fact
work for homebrew, macports for numpy / scipy / matplotlib / pandas
etc (the failures are real test failures, not packaging errors):

https://travis-ci.org/matthew-brett/scipy-stack-osx-testing/builds/25131865

(thanks to Matt Terry for the basis of the script to do this testing).

I checked with the `delocate` `delocate-listdeps` utility, and you are
only linking to stuff in the OSX System directories, and you don't
need to use `delocate-wheel`.

Cheers,

Matthew