[Numpy-discussion] Renaming OSX wheels on pypi to make them more general

Matthew Brett matthew.brett at gmail.com
Sat May 31 22:49:44 EDT 2014

Hi,

On Fri, May 30, 2014 at 2:17 PM, Matthew Brett <matthew.brett at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This is actually for both of numpy and scipy.
>
> I would like to rename the current OSX wheels on pypi so that they
> will be installed by default on system python, homebrew, macports, as
> well as Python.org Python.
>
> At the moment, they will only be found and installed by default by
> Python.org Python.
>
> For reasons explained here:
>
> https://github.com/MacPython/wiki/wiki/Spinning-wheels
>
> and confirmed with testing here:
>
> https://travis-ci.org/matthew-brett/scipy-stack-osx-testing/builds/25131865
>
> - OSX wheels built for Python.org python do in fact work correctly for
> the homebrew, macports and system python.
>
> In fact, future versions of pip will very likely offer the Python.org
> OSX wheels for installation on these other systems by default:
>
> https://github.com/pypa/pip/pull/1465
>
> Renaming the wheels just adds the 'platform tag' for these other
> versions of Python to the wheel name, so pip sees they are compatible.
>
> For example, I propose to rename the current numpy wheel from:
>
> numpy-1.8.1-cp27-none-macosx_10_6_intel.whl
>
> to:
>
> numpy-1.8.1-cp27-none-macosx_10_6_intel.macosx_10_9_intel.macosx_10_9_x86_64.whl
>
> I think this is only an improvement to the current situation, in that
> users of pip on these other OSX systems will get a fast binary install
> rather than a slow compiled install.
>
> Any comments?

OK - I propose to go ahead with this on Monday unless there are any objections.

Here's the latest test grid showing tests passing on Python.org /
system python / homebrew / macports using numpy / scipy / matplotlib
wheels with the proposed naming scheme:

https://travis-ci.org/matthew-brett/scipy-stack-osx-testing/builds/26482436

Cheers,

Matthew