[Numpy-discussion] Add `nrows` to `genfromtxt`

Alexander Belopolsky ndarray at mac.com
Sun Nov 2 14:18:38 EST 2014

On Sun, Nov 2, 2014 at 1:56 PM, Warren Weckesser <warren.weckesser at gmail.com
> wrote:

> Or you could just call genfromtxt() once with `max_rows=1` to skip a row.
> (I'm assuming that the first argument to genfromtxt is the open file
> object--or some other iterator--and not the filename.)

That's hackish.  If I have to resort to something like this, I would just
call next() on the open file object or iterator.

Still, the case of dtype=None, name=None is problematic.   Suppose I want
genfromtxt()  to detect the column names from the 1-st row and data types
from the 3-rd.  How would you do that?