[Numpy-discussion] Numpy 1.9.1, zeros and alignement

Julian Taylor jtaylor.debian at googlemail.com
Tue Nov 18 13:26:39 EST 2014

On 18.11.2014 19:20, David Cournapeau wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have not followed closely the changes that happen in 1.9.1, but was
> surprised by the following:
>
> x = np.zeros(12, "d")
> assert x.flags.aligned # fails
>
> This is running numpy 1.9.1 built on windows with VS 2008. Is it
> expected that zeros may return a non-aligned array ?

what is the real alignment of the array? Are you on 32 bit or 64 bit?
What is the alignment of doubles in windows (linux its 4 byte on 32 bit
8 byte on 64 bit (% special compiler flags)?
print x.__array_interface__["data"]

there are problems with complex types but doubles should be aligned even
on 32 bit.