[Numpy-discussion] Proposal: add ndarray.keys() to return dtype.names

John Zwinck jzwinck at gmail.com
Wed Oct 1 10:08:54 EDT 2014

hoogendoorn.eelco at gmail.com> wrote:

>> On more careful reading of your words, I think we agree; indeed, if
keys() is present is should return an iterable; but I don't think it should
be present for non-structured arrays.

> Indeed, I think we do agree. The attribute can simply be missing (e.g.,
accessing it raises AttributeError) for non-structured arrays.

I'm generally fine with this, though I would like to know if there is
precedent for methods being present on structured arrays only.  Even if
there is no precedent I am still OK with the idea, I just think we should
understand if how novel this will be.