[Numpy-discussion] Proposal: add ndarray.keys() to return dtype.names

Eelco Hoogendoorn hoogendoorn.eelco at gmail.com
Wed Oct 1 10:13:17 EDT 2014

Well, the method will have to be present on all ndarrays, since structured
arrays do not have a different type from regular arrays, only a different
dtype. Thus the attribute has to be present regardless, but some Exception
will have to be raised depending on the dtype, to make it quack like the
kind of duck it is, so to speak. Indeed it seems like an atypical design
pattern; but I don't see a problem with it.