[Numpy-discussion] Copyright status of NumPy binaries on Windows/OS X

Sturla Molden sturla.molden at gmail.com
Wed Oct 8 17:46:58 EDT 2014

Travis Oliphant <travis at continuum.io> wrote:

> Microsoft has actually released their Visual Studio 2008 compiler stack so
> that OpenBLAS and ATLAS could be compiled on Windows for these platforms as
> well.   I would be very interested to see conda packages for these
> libraries which should be pretty straightforward to build.

OpenBLAS does not compile with Microsoft compilers because of AT&T assembly
syntax. You need to use a GNU compiler and you also need to have a GNU
environment. OpenBLAS is easy to build on Windows with MinGW (with
gfortran) and MSYS. Carl's toolchain ensures that the binaries are
compatible with the Python binaries from Python.org.

Sturla