[Numpy-discussion] Copyright status of NumPy binaries on Windows/OS X

Julian Taylor jtaylor.debian at googlemail.com
Fri Oct 10 17:28:32 EDT 2014

On 10.10.2014 23:07, Matthew Brett wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, Oct 7, 2014 at 5:13 PM, Julian Taylor
> <jtaylor.debian at googlemail.com> wrote:
>> On 06.10.2014 18:54, Andrew Collette wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I am working with the HDF Group on a new open-source viewer program
>>> for HDF5 files, powered by NumPy, h5py, and wxPython.  On Windows,
>>> since people don't typically have Python installed, we are looking to
>>> distribute the application using PyInstaller, which embeds
>>> dependencies like NumPy.  Likewise for OS X (using Py2App).
>>>
>>> We would like to make sure we don't accidentally include
>>> non-open-source components... I recall there was some discussion here
>>> about using the Intel math libraries for binary releases on various
>>> platforms.  Do the releases on SourceForge or PyPI use any proprietary
>>> code?  We'd like to avoid building NumPy ourselves if we can avoid it.
>>>
>>> Apologies if this is explained somewhere, but I couldn't find it.
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>> Andrew Collette
>>

>> Hi,
>> the numpy win32 binaries on sourceforge do not contain any proprietary
>> code. They are build with mingw 3.4.5 and are using a f2c'd version of
>> netlib blas and lapack which so far I know is public domain.
>> I think the macos wheels on pypi are built using ATLAS but they do also
>> contain libquadmath which is LGPL licensed. Its probably pulled in by
>> fortran (could maybe be removed by a rebuild as neither blas nor numpy
>> use it)
>

> Julian - it would be good to remove libquadmath with a rebuild - any
> pointers on how to do this?

You'd probably have to rebuild gfortran with quadmath disabled. It is a
configuration flag of the gcc build. Then rebuild the binaries with that
toolchain.

But I'm not convinced it needs to be removed. Is LGPL really a problem?
As long as you don't static link it (and not also ship the objects) it
should be fine also for commercial programs.
Note that there is no -static-quadmath flag, most likely because it
would allow accidental license violation.