[Numpy-discussion] Request for enhancement to numpy.random.shuffle

John Zwinck jzwinck at gmail.com
Sun Oct 12 04:43:00 EDT 2014

On Sun, Oct 12, 2014 at 3:51 PM, Eelco Hoogendoorn
<hoogendoorn.eelco at gmail.com> wrote:
> I would argue to treat the None-False condition as an error. Indeed I agree
> one might argue the correcr behavior is to 'shuffle' the singleton block of
> data, which does nothing; but its more likely to come up as an unintended
> error than as a natural outcome of parametrized behavior.

I'm interested to know why you think axis=None should raise an error
if independent=False when independent=False is the default.  What I
mean is, if someone uses this function and wants axis=None (which
seems not totally unusual), why force them to always type in the
boilerplate independent=True to make it work?

John Zwinck