[Numpy-discussion] Any interest in a generalized piecewise function?

Per.Brodtkorb at ffi.no Per.Brodtkorb at ffi.no
Mon Oct 13 03:56:43 EDT 2014

Ok, I will open a pull request. But before I do so, I would like to know what kind of  pull request to make.
Ideally I think the call signature for piecewise should be like this:

def piecewise(condlist, funclist, xi=None, fillvalue=numpy.nan, args=(), **kw):

or this:

def piecewise(condlist, funclist, xi=None, args=(), **kw):

The reason why I think so is that if funclist is a list of scalars then xi is not needed as input and logically should be placed as an optional third argument to the function and not as the first as numpy.piecewise currently does.

Any of those two call signatures will break with the current one in numpy.piecewise.
So is this new call signature desirable enough that we want to break backwards compatibility?

Or should I just keep the current callsignature:

def piecewise(xi, condlist, funclist, *args, **kw):

in the pull request?

Per A.