[Numpy-discussion] Memory efficient alternative for np.loadtxt and np.genfromtxt

Saullo Castro saullogiovani at gmail.com
Sun Oct 26 04:46:48 EDT 2014

I would like to start working on a memory efficient alternative for
np.loadtxt and np.genfromtxt that uses arrays instead of lists to store the
data while the file iterator is exhausted.

The motivation came from this SO question:

http://stackoverflow.com/q/26569852/832621

where for huge arrays the current NumPy ASCII readers are really slow and
require ~6 times more memory. This case I tested with Pandas' read_csv()
and it required 2 times more memory.

I would be glad if you could share your experience on this matter.

Greetings,
Saullo