[Numpy-discussion] numpy.i and std::complex

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Mon Oct 27 14:30:12 EDT 2014

On Mon, Oct 27, 2014 at 4:27 PM, Sturla Molden <sturla.molden at gmail.com> wrote:
> Glen Mabey <gmabey at swri.org> wrote:
>
>> I chose swig after reviewing the options listed here, and I didn't see cython on the list:
>>
>> http://docs.scipy.org/doc/numpy/user/c-info.python-as-glue.html
>
> It's because that list is old and has not been updated. It has the
> predecessor to Cython, Pyrex, but they are very different now.
>
> Both SciPy and NumPy has Cython as a build dependency, and also projects
> like scikit-learn, scikit-image, statsmodels.
>
> If you find C++ projects which use Swig (wxPython, PyWin32) or SIP (PyQt)
> it is mainly because they are older than Cython. A more recent addition,
> PyZMQ, use Cython to wrap C++.

SWIG is a perfectly reasonable tool that is still used on new
projects, and is a supported way of building extensions against numpy.
Please stop haranguing the new guy for not knowing things that you
know. This thread is about extending that support, a perfectly fine
and decent thing to do.

--
Robert Kern