[Numpy-discussion] Choosing between NumPy and SciPy functions

Sturla Molden sturla.molden at gmail.com
Tue Oct 28 01:24:46 EDT 2014

Matthew Brett <matthew.brett at gmail.com> wrote:

> Is this an option for us?  Aren't we a little behind the performance
> curve on FFT after we lost FFTW?

It does not run on Windows because it uses POSIX to allocate executable
memory for tasklets, as i understand it.

By the way, why did we loose FFTW, apart from GPL? One thing to mention
here is that MKL supports the FFTW APIs. If we can use MKL for linalg and
numpy.dot I don't see why we cannot use it for FFT.

On Mac there is also vDSP in Accelerate framework which has an insanely
fast FFT (also claimed to be faster than FFTW). Since it is a system
library there should be no license problems.

There are clearly options if someone wants to work on it and maintain it.

Sturla