[Numpy-discussion] FFTS for numpy's FFTs (was: Re: Choosing between NumPy and SciPy functions)

Nathaniel Smith njs at pobox.com
Tue Oct 28 10:31:33 EDT 2014

On 28 Oct 2014 07:32, "Jerome Kieffer" <Jerome.Kieffer at esrf.fr> wrote:

> On Tue, 28 Oct 2014 04:28:37 +0000
> Nathaniel Smith <njs at pobox.com> wrote:
>
> > It's definitely attractive. Some potential issues that might need
dealing
> > with, based on a quick skim:
>
> In my tests, numpy's FFTPACK isn't that bad considering
> * (virtually) no extra overhead for installation
> * (virtually) no plan creation time
> * not that slower for each transformation

Well, this is what makes FFTS intriguing :-). It's BSD licensed, so we
could distribute it by default like we do fftpack, it uses cache-oblivious
algorithms so it has no planning step, and even without planning it
benchmarks as faster than FFTW's most expensive planning mode (in the cases
that FFTS supports, i.e. power-of-two transforms).

The paper has lots of benchmark graphs, including measurements of setup
time:
  http://anthonix.com/ffts/preprints/tsp2013.pdf

-n