[Numpy-discussion] help using np.einsum for stacked matrix multiplication

Dave Hirschfeld dave.hirschfeld at gmail.com
Wed Oct 29 06:18:55 EDT 2014

Andrew Nelson writes:

> Dear list,I have a 4D array, A, that has the shape (NX, NY, 2, 2).  I
wish to perform matrix multiplication of the 'NY' 2x2 matrices, resulting
in the matrix B.  B would have shape (NX, 2, 2).  I believe that np.einsum
would be up to the task, but I'm not quite sure of the subscripts I would
need to achieve this.

> Can anyone help, please?
>
> cheers,
> Andrew.

Sorry, I'm a little unclear on what is supposed to be multiplied with
what. You've got (NX x NY) 2x2 matricies, how do you end up with NX 2x2
matricies?

Perhaps if you show the code using loops with `np.dot` it will be clearer
how to translate to using `np.einsum`

-Dave