[Numpy-discussion] FFTS for numpy's FFTs (was: Re: Choosing between NumPy and SciPy functions)

Daπid davidmenhur at gmail.com
Wed Oct 29 06:24:57 EDT 2014

On 29 October 2014 10:48, Eelco Hoogendoorn <hoogendoorn.eelco at gmail.com> wrote:
> My point isn't about speed; its about the scope of numpy. typing np.fft.fft
> isn't more or less convenient than using some other symbol from the
> scientific python stack.

The problem is in distribution. For many users, installing a new
library is not easy (computing cluster, company regulations...). And
this assuming the alternative library is held to the same quality
standards as Numpy.

Another argument is that this should only be living in Scipy, that is,
after all, quite standard; but it requires a FORTRAN compiler, that is
quite a big dependency.

/David.