[Numpy-discussion] Generalize hstack/vstack --> stack; Block matrices like in matlab

Stefan Otte stefan.otte at gmail.com
Wed Oct 29 10:59:30 EDT 2014

Hey,

there are several ways how to proceed.

- My proposed solution covers the 80% case quite well (at least I use
it all the time). I'd convert the doctests into unittests and we're
done.

- We could slightly change the interface to leave out the surrounding
square brackets, i.e. turning `stack([[a, b], [c, d]])` into
`stack([a, b], [c, d])`

- We could extend it even further allowing a "filler value" for non
set values and a "shape" argument. This could be done later as well.

- `bmat` is not really matrix specific. We could refactor `bmat` a bit
to use the same logic in `stack`. Except the `matrix` calls `bmat` and
`_from_string` are pretty agnostic to the input.

I'm in favor of the first or last approach. The first: because it
already works and is quite simple. The last: because the logic and
tests of both `bmat` and `stack` would be the same and the feature to
specify a string representation of the block matrix is nice.

Best,
 Stefan