[Numpy-discussion] FFTS for numpy's FFTs (was: Re: Choosing between NumPy and SciPy functions)

Nathaniel Smith njs at pobox.com
Thu Oct 30 07:28:22 EDT 2014

On 30 Oct 2014 11:12, "Sturla Molden" <sturla.molden at gmail.com> wrote:

> Nathaniel Smith <njs at pobox.com> wrote:
>
> >> [*] Actually, we could, but the binaries would be tainted with a viral
> >> license.
> >
> > And binaries linked with MKL are tainted by a proprietary license...
They
> > have very similar effects,
>
> The MKL license is proprietary but not viral.

If you like, but I think you are getting confused by the vividness of
anti-GPL rhetoric. GPL and proprietary software are identical in that you
have to pay some price if you want to legally redistribute derivative works
(e.g. numpy + MKL/FFTW + other software). For proprietary software the
price is money and other random more or less onerous conditions (e.g.
anti-benchmarking and anti-reverse-engineering clauses are common). For GPL
software the price is that you have to let people reuse your source code
for free. That's literally all that "viral" means.

Which of these prices you find more affordable will depend on your
circumstances. Either way it's just something to take into account before
redistributing "tainted" binaries.

-n