[Numpy-discussion] Choosing between NumPy and SciPy functions

josef.pktd at gmail.com josef.pktd at gmail.com
Fri Oct 31 11:21:36 EDT 2014

On Fri, Oct 31, 2014 at 11:07 AM, Benjamin Root <ben.root at ou.edu> wrote:

> Just to throw in my two cents here. I feel that sometimes, features are
> tried out first elsewhere (possibly in scipy) and then brought down into
> numpy after sufficient shakedown time. So, in some cases, I wonder if the
> numpy version is actually more refined than the scipy version? Of course,
> there is no way to know this from the documentation, which is a problem.
> Didn't scipy have nanmean() for a while before Numpy added it in version
> 1.8?

That's true for several functions in scipy.stats. And we have more
deprecation in scipy.stats in favor of numpy pending.

part of polynomials is another case, kind of.

But I don't remember any other ones in my time.

(There is also a reverse extension for scipy binned_stats based on the
np.histogram code.)

Josef