[Numpy-discussion] How to install numpy on a box without hardware FPU

Julian Taylor jtaylor.debian at googlemail.com
Mon Sep 1 17:45:02 EDT 2014

On 01.09.2014 10:33, Emel Hasdal wrote:
> Hello,
>
>   Is it possible to configure/install numpy on a box without a hardware
> FPU? When I try to install it using pip,
> I get a bunch of compile errors since  floating-point
> exceptions (FE_DIVBYZERO etc) are undefined on this platform.
>
> How do I get numpy installed and working on such a platform?

If its just that you can try replacing all the fenv stuff with stubs
doing nothing. You only lose some runtime warnings about special cases.

Why do you want to run numpy on such a system?
Numpy is not really intended to run on such devices.
But it is possible the debian armel port is so far I know softfloat and
numpy seems to be running fine, though it probably also emulates fenv.