[Numpy-discussion] Does a `mergesorted` function make sense?

cjw cjw at ncf.ca
Wed Sep 3 08:26:02 EDT 2014

Re: [Numpy-discussion] Does a `mergesorted` function make sense?

On 02/09/2014 8:40 PM, Charles R Harris wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 1, 2014 at 7:58 AM, Eelco Hoogendoorn
> <hoogendoorn.eelco at gmail.com <mailto:hoogendoorn.eelco at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     On Mon, Sep 1, 2014 at 2:05 PM, Charles R Harris
>     <charlesr.harris at gmail.com <mailto:charlesr.harris at gmail.com>> wrote:
>

>         On Mon, Sep 1, 2014 at 1:49 AM, Eelco Hoogendoorn
>         <hoogendoorn.eelco at gmail.com
>         <mailto:hoogendoorn.eelco at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>             Sure, id like to do the hashing things out, but I would
>             also like some preliminary feedback as to whether this is
>             going in a direction anyone else sees the point of, if it
>             conflicts with other plans, and indeed if we can agree
>             that numpy is the right place for it; a point which I
>             would very much like to defend. If there is some obvious
>             no-go that im missing, I can do without the drudgery of
>             writing proper documentation ;).

These are good issues, that need to be discussed and resolved. Python
has the benefit of having a BDFL.  Numpy has no similar arrangement.
In the post-numarray period, Travis Oliphant took that role and advanced
the package in many ways.

It seems that Travis is no longer available.  There is a need for
someone, or maybe some group of three, who would be guided by the sort
of thinking Charles Harris sets out above, who would make the final
decision.

Colin W.