[Numpy-discussion] SFMT (faster mersenne twister)

Neal Becker ndbecker2 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 5 13:19:57 EDT 2014

Robert Kern wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 5, 2014 at 12:05 PM, Neal Becker <ndbecker2 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Robert Kern wrote:

>>> What would you like to say about it?
>>>

>> If it is faster (and at least as good), maybe we'd like to adopt it to
>> replace that used for mtrand
>
> It's a variant of the standard MT rather than just an implementation
> of it, so we can't just drop it in. You will need to build the
> infrastructure to support multiple PRNGs first (or rather, build the
> infrastructure to reuse the non-uniform distribution code with
> multiple core PRNGs).

You mean it's not backward compatible because it won't generate exactly the same
sequence of output for a given seed, and therefore we wouldn't want to make that
change?

I think it's somewhat debatable whether generating a different sequence of
random numbers counts as breaking backward compatibility.

--
-- Those who don't understand recursion are doomed to repeat it