[Numpy-discussion] @ operator

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Tue Sep 9 16:03:23 EDT 2014

On Tue, Sep 9, 2014 at 8:52 PM, Charles R Harris
<charlesr.harris at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm in the midst of implementing the '@' operator (PEP 465), and there are
> some behaviors that are unspecified by the PEP.
>
> Should the operator accept array_like for one of the arguments?

I would be mildly disappointed if it didn't.

> Does it need to handle __numpy_ufunc__, or will __array_priority__ serve?

Not sure (TBH, I don't remember what __numpy_ufunc__ does off-hand and
don't feel bothered enough to look it up).

> Do we want PyArray_Matmul in the numpy API?

Probably.

> Should a matmul function be supplied by the multiarray module?

Yes, please. It's rules are a little different than dot()'s, so we
should have a function that does it.

--
Robert Kern