[Numpy-discussion] Is this a bug?

Sebastian Berg sebastian at sipsolutions.net
Wed Sep 17 08:48:14 EDT 2014

On Mi, 2014-09-17 at 06:33 -0600, Charles R Harris wrote:

<snip>

> It would also be nice if the order could be made part of the signature
> as DGEMM and friends like one of the argument axis to be contiguous,
> but I don't see a clean way to do that. The gufuncs do have an order
> parameter which should probably default to 'C'  if the arrays/vectors
> are stacked. I think the default is currently 'K'. Hmm, we could make
> 'K' refer to the last one or two dimensions in the inputs. OTOH, that
> isn't needed for types not handled by BLAS. Or it could be handled in
> the inner loops.

This is a different discussion, right? It would be nice to have an order
flag for the core dimensions. The gufunc itself should not care at all
about the outer ones.
All the orders for the core dimensions would be nice probably, including
no contiguity being enforced (or actually, maybe we can define 'K' to
mean that in this context). To be honest, if 'K' means that, it seems
like a decent default.

- Sebastian