[Numpy-discussion] float('inf') // 1 = ?

Sebastian Berg sebastian at sipsolutions.net
Thu Sep 18 13:13:58 EDT 2014

On Thu, 2014-09-18 at 18:55 +0200, Petr Viktorin wrote:
> Sorry for the lack of subject before.
>
> On Thu, Sep 18, 2014 at 6:48 PM, Benjamin Root <ben.root at ou.edu> wrote:
> > My vote is that NumPy is correct here. I see no reason why
> > and

Didn't read python ideas I have to admit (at least not enough to see
many arguments). My biggest argument is that numpy does exactly this:

>>> import math
>>> math.floor(float('inf')/1)

Maybe I am naive thinking that floordivide is basically a divide+floor
operation, but arguing for NaN seems half arsed to me on first sight.
Either it is `inf` and the equivalence Benjamin Root noted holds or you
make it an error. NaN is not reasonable for an error return *especially*
not for the standard lib (it *might* be for numpy).

- Sebastian