[Numpy-discussion] IDE's for numpy development?

Charles R Harris charlesr.harris at gmail.com
Wed Apr 1 12:04:08 EDT 2015

Hi All,

In a recent exchange Mark Wiebe suggested that the lack of support for
numpy development in Visual Studio might limit the number of developers
attracted to the project. I'm a vim/console developer myself and make no
claim of familiarity with modern development tools, but I wonder if such
tools might now be available for Numpy. A quick google search turns up a
beta plugin for Visual Studio, <https://pytools.codeplex.com/>, and there
is an xcode IDE for the mac that apparently offers some Python support. The
two things that I think are required are: 1) support for mixed C, python
developement and 2) support for building and testing numpy. I'd be
interested in information from anyone with experience in using such an IDE
and ideas of how Numpy might make using some of the common IDEs easier.

Thoughts?

Chuck