[Numpy-discussion] IDE's for numpy development?

Sturla Molden sturla.molden at gmail.com
Wed Apr 1 13:55:52 EDT 2015

Charles R Harris <charlesr.harris at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'd be
> interested in information from anyone with experience in using such an IDE
> and ideas of how Numpy might make using some of the common IDEs easier.
>
> Thoughts?

I guess we could include project files for Visual Studio (and perhaps
Eclipse?), like Python does. But then we would need to make sure the
different build systems are kept in sync, and it will be a PITA for those
who do not use Windows and Visual Studio. It is already bad enough with
Distutils and Bento. I, for one, would really prefer if there only was one
build process to care about. One should also note that a Visual Studio
project is the only supported build process for Python on Windows. So they
are not using this in addition to something else.

Eclipse is better than Visual Studio for mixed Python and C development. It
is also cross-platform.

cmake needs to be mentioned too. It is not fully integrated with Visual
Studio, but better than having multiple build processes.

But still, there is nothing that prevents the use of Visual Studio as a
glorified text editor.

Sturla