[Numpy-discussion] IDE's for numpy development?

David Cournapeau cournape at gmail.com
Thu Apr 2 09:46:12 EDT 2015

On Wed, Apr 1, 2015 at 7:43 PM, Charles R Harris <charlesr.harris at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 1, 2015 at 11:55 AM, Sturla Molden <sturla.molden at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Charles R Harris <charlesr.harris at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> > I'd be
>> > interested in information from anyone with experience in using such an
>> IDE
>> > and ideas of how Numpy might make using some of the common IDEs easier.
>> >
>> > Thoughts?
>>
>> I guess we could include project files for Visual Studio (and perhaps
>> Eclipse?), like Python does. But then we would need to make sure the
>> different build systems are kept in sync, and it will be a PITA for those
>> who do not use Windows and Visual Studio. It is already bad enough with
>> Distutils and Bento. I, for one, would really prefer if there only was one
>> build process to care about. One should also note that a Visual Studio
>> project is the only supported build process for Python on Windows. So they
>> are not using this in addition to something else.
>>
>> Eclipse is better than Visual Studio for mixed Python and C development.
>> It
>> is also cross-platform.
>>
>> cmake needs to be mentioned too. It is not fully integrated with Visual
>> Studio, but better than having multiple build processes.
>>

> Mark chose cmake for DyND because it supported Visual Studio projects.
> OTOH, he said it was a PITA to program.

I concur on that:  For the 350+ packages we support at Enthought, cmake has
been a higher pain point than any other build tool (that is including
custom ones). And we only support mainstream platforms.

But the real question for me is what does visual studio support mean ? Does
it really mean solution files ?

David