[Numpy-discussion] Advanced indexing: "fancy" vs. orthogonal

Hanno Klemm klemm at phys.ethz.ch
Thu Apr 2 19:14:21 EDT 2015

> On 03 Apr 2015, at 00:04, Colin J. Williams <cjw at ncf.ca> wrote:
>

> On 02-Apr-15 4:35 PM, Eric Firing wrote:
>> On 2015/04/02 10:22 AM, josef.pktd at gmail.com wrote:
>>> Swapping the axis when slices are mixed with fancy indexing was a
>>> design mistake, IMO. But not fancy indexing itself.
>> I'm not saying there should be no fancy indexing capability; I am saying
>> that it should be available through a function or method, rather than
>> via the square brackets.  Square brackets should do things that people
>> expect them to do--the most common and easy-to-understand style of indexing.
>>
>> Eric
> +1

Well, I have written quite a bit of code that relies on fancy indexing, and I think the question, if the behaviour of the [] operator should be changed has sailed with numpy now at version 1.9. Given the amount packages that rely on numpy, changing this fundamental behaviour would not be a clever move.

If people want to implement orthogonal indexing with another method, by all means I might use it at some point in the future. However, adding even more complexity to the behaviour of the bracket slicing is probably not a good idea.

Hanno