[Numpy-discussion] GSoC students: please read

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers at gmail.com
Sat Apr 4 19:01:43 EDT 2015

On Mon, Mar 23, 2015 at 10:42 PM, Ralf Gommers <ralf.gommers at gmail.com>
wrote:

Hi Stephan, all,

On Mon, Mar 23, 2015 at 10:29 PM, Stephan Hoyer <shoyer at gmail.com> wrote:

>> On Mon, Mar 23, 2015 at 2:21 PM, Ralf Gommers <ralf.gommers at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> It's great to see that this year there are a lot of students interested
>>> in doing a GSoC project with Numpy or Scipy. So far five proposals have
>>> been submitted, and it looks like several more are being prepared now.
>>>

>> Hi Ralf,
>>
>> Is there a centralized place for non-mentors to view proposals and give
>> feedback?
>>

> Hi Stephan, there isn't really. All students post their drafts to the
> mailing list, where they can get feedback. They're free to keep that draft
> wherever they want - blogs, Github, StackEdit, ftp sites and more are all
> being used. The central overview is in Melange (the official GSoC tool),
> but that's not publicly accessible.

This was actually a very good idea, for next year we should require
proposals on Github and added to an overview page. For this year it was a
bit late to require all students to make this change, but I've compiled an
overview of all proposals that have been submitted including links to
Melange and the public drafts that students posted to the mailing lists:
https://github.com/scipy/scipy/wiki/GSoC-project-ideas#student-applications-for-2015-to-scipy-and-numpy

I hope that this helps. Everyone who is signed up as a mentor can comment
(privately or publicly) in Melange, and everyone who's interested can now
more easily find back the mailing list threads on this and comment there.

Cheers,
Ralf