[Numpy-discussion] OS X wheels: speed versus multiprocessing

Sturla Molden sturla.molden at gmail.com
Mon Apr 6 20:13:15 EDT 2015

On 07/04/15 01:49, Nathaniel Smith wrote:

> Any opinions, objections?

Accelerate does not break multiprocessing, quite the opposite. The bug
is in multiprocessing and has been fixed in Python 3.4.

My vote would nevertheless be for OpenBLAS if we can use it without
producing test failures in NumPy and SciPy.

Most of the test failures with OpenBLAS and Carl Kleffner's toolchain on
Windows are due to differences between Microsoft and MinGW runtime
libraries and not due to OpenBLAS itself. These test failures are not
relevant on Mac.

ATLAS can easily reduce the speed of a matrix product or a linear
algebra call with a factor of 20 compared to Accelerate, MKL or
OpenBLAS. It would give us bad karma.

Sturla