[Numpy-discussion] OS X wheels: speed versus multiprocessing

Nathaniel Smith njs at pobox.com
Mon Apr 6 20:41:48 EDT 2015

On Apr 6, 2015 5:13 PM, "Sturla Molden" <sturla.molden at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 07/04/15 01:49, Nathaniel Smith wrote:
>
> > Any opinions, objections?
>
> Accelerate does not break multiprocessing, quite the opposite. The bug
> is in multiprocessing and has been fixed in Python 3.4.

I disagree, but it hardly matters: you can call it a bug in accelerate, or
call it a bug in python, but either way it's an issue that affects our
users and we need to either work around it or not.

> ATLAS can easily reduce the speed of a matrix product or a linear
> algebra call with a factor of 20 compared to Accelerate, MKL or
> OpenBLAS. It would give us bad karma.

Sure, but in some cases accelerate reduces speed by a factor of infinity by
hanging, and OpenBLAS may or may not give wrong answers (but quickly!)
since apparently they don't do regression tests, so we have to pick our
poison.

-n