[Numpy-discussion] On responding to dubious ideas (was: Re: Advanced indexing: "fancy" vs. orthogonal)

Alan G Isaac alan.isaac at gmail.com
Wed Apr 8 14:09:54 EDT 2015

That analogy fails because it suggests a private conversation. This list is extremely public.
For example, I am just a user, and I am on it.  I can tell you that as a long-time numpy user
my reaction to the proposal to change indexing semantics was (i) OMG YMBFKM and then
(ii) take a breath; this too will fade away.  It is very reasonable to worry that some users
will start at the same place but them move in a different direction, and that worry should
affect how such proposals are floated and discussed.  I am personally grateful that the
idea's reception has been so chilly; it's very reassuring.

fwiw,
Alan