[Numpy-discussion] On responding to dubious ideas (was: Re: Advanced indexing: "fancy" vs. orthogonal)

Nathaniel Smith njs at pobox.com
Thu Apr 9 01:57:02 EDT 2015

On Wed, Apr 8, 2015 at 2:09 PM, Alan G Isaac <alan.isaac at gmail.com> wrote:
> That analogy fails because it suggests a private conversation. This list is extremely public.
> For example, I am just a user, and I am on it.  I can tell you that as a long-time numpy user
> my reaction to the proposal to change indexing semantics was (i) OMG YMBFKM and then
> (ii) take a breath; this too will fade away.  It is very reasonable to worry that some users
> will start at the same place but them move in a different direction, and that worry should
> affect how such proposals are floated and discussed.  I am personally grateful that the
> idea's reception has been so chilly; it's very reassuring.

Thanks, this is really useful feedback. I can totally understand that
panic flare and it sucks. Do you think there's anything we could be
doing to reduce this kind of adrenaline reaction while still allowing
for relaxed discussion about out-there ideas? In my mind the "relaxed"
part is actually a huge part of the goal: reaching the point where
everyone can be confident that their voice will be heard, etc., so
that things become less fraught and it becomes easier to focus on
ideas.

-n

--
Nathaniel J. Smith -- http://vorpus.org