[Numpy-discussion] Change default order to Fortran order

Nathaniel Smith njs at pobox.com
Sun Aug 2 18:17:51 EDT 2015

On Aug 2, 2015 1:17 PM, "Kang Wang" <kwang24 at wisc.edu> wrote:

> Thank you all for replying!
>
> I did a quick test, using python 2.6.6,

There's pretty much no good reason these days to be using python 2.6 (which
was released in *2008*). I assume you're using it because you're using
redhat or some redhat derivative, and that's what they ship by default?
Even redhat engineers officially recommend that users *not* use the default
python -- it's basically only intended for use by their own built-in system
management scripts.

If you're just getting started with python, then at this point I'd
recommend starting with python 3.4.

Some easy ways to get this installed:
- Anaconda: the most popular scientific python distribution -- you pretty
much just download one file and get a full, up to date setup of python and
all the main scientific packages, in your home directory. Supported on all
popular platforms. Trivial to use and requires no special permissions.
http://continuum.io/downloads#py34
- One of Anaconda's competitors: http://www.scipy.org/install.html
- Software collections: redhat's official way to do things like this:
https://www.softwarecollections.org/en/

-n