[Numpy-discussion] Change default order to Fortran order

Kang Wang kwang24 at wisc.edu
Mon Aug 3 02:02:42 EDT 2015

This is very good discussion. Thank you all for replying.

I can see the fundamental difference is that I always think/talk/read/write a 3D image as I(x, y, z), not (plane, row, column) . I am coming from MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) research, and I can assure you that the entire MRI community is using (x, y, z), including books, journal papers, conference abstracts, presentations, everything. We even talk about what we called "logical x/y/z" and "physical x/y/z", and the rotation matrix that converts the two coordinate systems. The radiologists are also used to (x, y, z). For example, we always say "my image is 256 by 256 by 20 slices", and we never say "20 by 256 by 256".

So, basically, at least in MRI, we always talk about an image as I(x, y, z), and we always assume that "x" is the fastest changing index. That's why I prefer column-major (because it is more natural).

Of course, I can totally get my work done by using row-major, I just have to always remind myself "write last dimension index first" when coding. I actually have done this before, and I found it would be so much easier if just using column-major.

Kang

Kang Wang, Ph.D.
1111 Highland Ave., Room 1113
Madison, WI 53705-2275