[Numpy-discussion] Proposal: Deprecate np.int, np.float, etc.?

Allan Haldane allanhaldane at gmail.com
Mon Aug 3 13:03:58 EDT 2015

On 08/03/2015 12:25 PM, Chris Barker wrote:
> 2) The vagaries of the standard C types:  int, long, etc (spelled
> np.intc, which is a int32 on my machine, anyway)
>     [NOTE: is there a C long dtype? I can't find it at the moment...]

Numpy does define "the platform dependent C integer types short, long,
longlong and their unsigned versions" according to the docs. size_t is
the same size as intc.

Even though float and double are virtually always IEEE single and double
precision, maybe for consistency we should also define np.floatc,
np.doublec and np.longdoublec?

Allan