[Numpy-discussion] [SciPy-Dev] ANN: Numpy 1.10.0b1 release

Nathaniel Smith njs at pobox.com
Wed Aug 12 04:07:37 EDT 2015

On Wed, Aug 12, 2015 at 12:51 AM, Sebastian Berg
<sebastian at sipsolutions.net> wrote:
> On Mi, 2015-08-12 at 09:41 +0200, Jens Jørgen Mortensen wrote:
>> On 08/11/2015 11:23 PM, Charles R Harris wrote:
>> > Hi All,
>> >
>> > give this release a whirl and report any problems either on the
>> > numpy-discussion list or by opening an issue on github.
>> >
>> > I'm pleased to announce the first beta release of Numpy 1.10.0.
>> > There is over a year's worth of enhancements and bug fixes in the
>> > 1.10.0 release, so please give this release a whirl and report any
>> > problems either on the numpy-discussion list or by opening an issue
>> > on github. Tarballs, installers, and release notes may be found in
>> > the usual place at Sourceforge.
>> >

>> This looks a bit strange:
>>
>> Python 2.7.9 (default, Apr  2 2015, 15:33:21)
>> [GCC 4.9.2] on linux2
>> (9223372036854775807,)
>> (8,)
>> '1.10.0b1'
>
> It is intentional, it will not be the case in the final release.

Given how quickly this surprised someone, it looks like it would be
helpful to have some single link we could give people to explain
what's going on here. Do we have such a thing? In a few minutes of
searching all I was able to find was

http://docs.scipy.org/doc/numpy/release.html#npy-relaxed-strides-checking
https://github.com/numpy/numpy/blob/master/doc/release/1.10.0-notes.rst#relaxed-stride-checking

which together kinda sorta hint at what's going on if you squint, but
not really? Maybe we should add a paragraph to the 1.10 release notes?

> And thanks Chuck for all the release work!

Indeed!

-n

--
Nathaniel J. Smith -- http://vorpus.org