[Numpy-discussion] Development workflow (not git tutorial)

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers at gmail.com
Sat Aug 15 04:19:24 EDT 2015

On Sat, Aug 15, 2015 at 1:08 AM, Pauli Virtanen <pav at iki.fi> wrote:

> 15.08.2015, 01:44, Chris Barker kirjoitti:
> [clip]
> > numpy doesn't use namespace packages, so develop mode works there.
>
> The develop mode is mainly useful with a virtualenv.
>
> Otherwise, you install work-in-progress development version into your
> ~/.local which then breaks everything else. In addition to this, "python
> setupegg.py develop --uninstall" says "Note: you must uninstall or
> replace scripts manually!", and since the scripts end up with dev
> version requirement hardcoded, and you have to delete the scripts manually.
>
> Virtualenvs are annoying to manage, and at least for me personally it's
> easier to just deal with pythonpath, especially as runtests.py manages
> that.

I completely agree. Virtualenv/pip/setuptools all too many issues and
corner cases where things don't quite work for development purposes. Using
runtests.py is the most reliable approach for working on numpy (or just use
an in-place build + pythonpath management if you prefer).

To get back to the original question of Anne (as well as the gdb one): most
of what was said and recommended in this thread is fairly well documented
in
https://github.com/numpy/numpy/blob/master/doc/source/dev/development_environment.rst

Unfortunately it doesn't yet show up in
http://docs.scipy.org/doc/numpy-dev/dev/index.html because that hasn't been
updated in a while. If someone who knows how to do that could push an
update, that would be great.

Cheers,
Ralf