[Numpy-discussion] Problems using add_npy_pkg_config

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers at gmail.com
Sat Aug 15 05:27:27 EDT 2015

On Sat, Aug 15, 2015 at 11:19 AM, Ralf Gommers <ralf.gommers at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 14, 2015 at 11:25 PM, Christian Engwer <
> christian.engwer at uni-muenster.de> wrote:
>
>> Dear Ralf,
>>
>> > I stared at it for a while, and can't figure it out despite you
>> following
>> > the example in the add_npy_pkg_config docstring pretty much to the
>> letter.
>> > When you see that the error is generated in a function that starts with
>> ``#
>> > XXX: another ugly workaround to circumvent distutils brain damage.``,
>> > you're usually in trouble.....
>>
>> what a pity... do you have an alternative suggestion? Is there a good
>> alternative, e.g. using cmake, to distribute python modules?
>>

> I wouldn't give up on distutils here (yet). For distributing/installing
> python packages, PyPi + pip are the de-facto standard and pip is currently
> tied to distutils/setuptools unfortunately.

Correction: the above is only completely true if you rely on source builds.
You can't avoid those with PyPi on Linux, but if you only need to support
Windows and OS X nowadays you can get away with no disutils if you upload
only binary wheels for those OSes to PyPi.

Regarding alternatives, this discussion is a bit older but mostly still
relevant: http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.python.numeric.general/27788

Ralf