[Numpy-discussion] Cythonizing some of NumPy

David Cournapeau cournape at gmail.com
Sun Aug 30 17:44:39 EDT 2015

Hi there,

Reading Nathaniel summary from the numpy dev meeting, it looks like there
is a consensus on using cython in numpy for the Python-C interfaces.

This has been on my radar for a long time: that was one of my rationale for
splitting multiarray into multiple "independent" .c files half a decade
ago. I took the opportunity of EuroScipy sprints to look back into this,
but before looking more into it, I'd like to make sure I am not going
astray:

1. The transition has to be gradual
2. The obvious way I can think of allowing cython in multiarray is
modifying multiarray such as cython "owns" the PyMODINIT_FUNC and the
module PyModuleDef table.
3. We start using cython for the parts that are mostly menial refcount
work. Things like functions in calculation.c are obvious candidates.

Step 2 should not be disruptive, and does not look like a lot of work:
there are < 60 methods in the table, and most of them should be fairly
straightforward to cythonize. At worse, we could just keep them as is
outside cython and just "export" them in cython.

Does that sound like an acceptable plan ?

If so, I will start working on a PR to work on 2.

David