[Numpy-discussion] Recognizing a cycle in a vector

Oscar Benjamin oscar.j.benjamin at gmail.com
Thu Dec 3 07:50:23 EST 2015

On 3 December 2015 at 11:58, Manolo Martínez <manolo at austrohungaro.com> wrote:
>> > This is doing the job for me at the moment, but there are, that I can
>> > see, a couple of things that could be improved (and surely more that I
>> > cannot see):
>
>> If what you have works out fine for you then feel free to ignore this but...
>> [snip]
>
> Talk about things I cannot see :) Thanks a lot for that very detailed
> explanation. I will certainly look into settting my problem up as a BVP.
>
> Incidentally, is there any modern textbook on numerical solving of ODEs
> that you could recommend?

Not particularly. The shooting and mesh methods are described in
chapter 17 of the Numerical Recipes in C book which is relatively
accessible:
http://apps.nrbook.com/c/index.html

In terms of out of the box software I can recommend auto and xpp. Each
is esoteric and comes with a clunky interface. XPP has a strange GUI
and auto is controlled through Python bindings using IPython as
frontend.

--
Oscar