[Numpy-discussion] f2py, numpy.distutils and multiple Fortran source files

Tim Cera tim at cerazone.net
Thu Dec 3 20:14:48 EST 2015

On Thu, Dec 3, 2015 at 4:07 PM David Verelst <david.verelst at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> For the wafo [1] package we are trying to include the extension
> compilation process in setup.py [2] by using setuptools and
> numpy.distutils [3]. Some of the extensions have one Fortran interface
> source file, but it depends on several other Fortran sources (modules). The
> manual compilation process would go as follows:
>
> gfortran -fPIC -c source_01.f
> gfortran -fPIC -c source_02.f
> f2py -m module_name -c source_01.o source_02.o source_interface.f
>
> Can this workflow be incorporated into setuptools/numpy.distutils?
> Something along the lines as:
>
> from numpy.distutils.core import setup, Extension
> ext = Extension('module.name',
>                depends=['source_01.f', 'source_02.f'],
>                sources=['source_interface.f'])
>
> (note that the above does not work)
>
> [1] https://github.com/wafo-project/pywafo
> [2] https://github.com/wafo-project/pywafo/blob/pipinstall/setup.py
> [3] http://docs.scipy.org/doc/numpy/reference/distutils.html
>
> Regards,
> David

This might be helpful:
https://github.com/timcera/wdmtoolbox/blob/master/setup.py

Looks like I created the *.pyf file and include that in sources.  I think I
only used f2py to create the pyf file and not directly part of the
compilation process.  If memory serves the Extension function knows what to
do with the pyf file.

Kindest regards,
Tim