[Numpy-discussion] When to stop supporting Python 2.6?

Nathaniel Smith njs at pobox.com
Fri Dec 4 06:06:01 EST 2015

On Fri, Dec 4, 2015 at 1:27 AM, David Cournapeau <cournape at gmail.com> wrote:
> I would be in favour of dropping 3.3, but not 2.6 until it becomes too
> cumbersome to support.
>
> As a data point, as of april, 2.6 was more downloaded than all python 3.X
> versions together when looking at pypi numbers:
> https://caremad.io/2015/04/a-year-of-pypi-downloads/

I'm not sure what's up with those numbers though -- they're *really*
unrepresentative of what we see for numpy otherwise. E.g. they show
3.X usage as ~5%, but for numpy, 3.x usage has risen past 25%.
(Source: 'vanity numpy', looking at OS X wheels b/c they're
per-version and unpolluted by CI download spam. Unfortunately this
doesn't provide numbers for 2.6 b/c we don't ship 2.6 binaries.) For
all we know all those 2.6 downloads are travis builds testing projects
on 2.6 to make sure they keep working because there are so many 2.6
downloads on pypi :-). Which isn't an argument for dropping 2.6
either, I just wouldn't put much weight on that blog post either
way...

(Supporting 2.6 in numpy hasn't been a big deal so far AFAICR, but I'd
be in favor of dropping it as soon as supporting it becomes even a
minor hassle.)

-n

--
Nathaniel J. Smith -- http://vorpus.org