[Numpy-discussion] When to stop supporting Python 2.6?

Sturla Molden sturla.molden at gmail.com
Mon Dec 7 04:38:48 EST 2015

Charles R Harris <charlesr.harris at gmail.com> wrote:

> As a strawman proposal, how about dropping moving to 2.7 and 3.4 minimum
> supported version next fall, say around numpy 1.12 or 1.13 depending on how
> the releases go.
>
> I would like to here from the scipy folks first.

Personally I would be in favor of this, because 2.7 and 3.4 are the minimum
versions anyone should consider to use. However, for SciPy which heavily
depends on Python code, the real improvement will be when we can bump the
minimum Python version to 3.5 and write x @ y instead of dot(x,y). I am not
sure of bumping the minimum version to 3.4 before that is worth it or not.
But certainly dropping 2.6 might be a good thing already now, so we can
start to use bytes, bytearray, memoryview, etc.

Sturla