[Numpy-discussion] NumPy-Discussion Digest, Vol 111, Issue 9

Sydney Shall s.shall at virginmedia.com
Mon Dec 7 06:41:53 EST 2015

On 07/12/2015 09:38, numpy-discussion-request at scipy.org wrote:
> Message: 4
> Date: Sun, 06 Dec 2015 22:01:40 -0500
> From: "DAVID SAROFF (RIT Student)"<dps7802 at rit.edu>
> To: Discussion of Numerical Python<numpy-discussion at scipy.org>
> Cc: Stefi Baum<stefibaumodea at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [Numpy-discussion] array of random numbers fails to
> 	construct
>
> Allan,
>
> I see with a google search on your name that you are in the physics
> department at Rutgers. I got my BA in Physics there. 1975. Biological
> physics. A thought: Is there an entropy that can be assigned to the dna in
> an organism? I don't mean the usual thing, coupled to the heat bath.
> Evolution blindly explores metabolic and signalling pathways, and tends
> towards disorder, as long as it functions. Someone working out signaling
> pathways some years ago wrote that they were senselessly complex, branched
> and interlocked. I think that is to be expected. Evolution doesn't find
> minimalist, clear, rational solutions. Look at the amazon rain forest. What
> are all those beetles and butterflies and frogs for? It is the wrong
> question. I think some measure of the complexity could be related to the
> amount of time that ecosystem has existed. Similarly for genomes.

Dear David,
You are mistaken in this remark in your message;
 > Evolution blindly explores metabolic and signalling pathways, and
 > tends towards disorder, as long as it functions.

In fact, biological evolution does just the opposite.
It overcomes disorder and creates complexity at the expense of 'pulling
in' energy from the outside, from the environemnt.

Of course you are correct that biological evolution does NOT look for
nor does it achieve optimum solutions. It merely replaces current
mechanism with another mechanism biologically derived from the current
mechanism, provided only that the replacement mechanism is marginally,
fractionally superior in the totality of the life of the ecosystem.

Have a good day,

Sydney
--
Sydney