[Numpy-discussion] When to stop supporting Python 2.6?

Chris Barker chris.barker at noaa.gov
Tue Dec 8 18:01:40 EST 2015

drop 2.6

I still don't understand why folks insist that they need to run a (very))
old python on an old OS, but need the latest and greatest numpy.

Chuck's list was pretty long and compelling.

-CHB

On Mon, Dec 7, 2015 at 1:38 AM, Sturla Molden <sturla.molden at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Charles R Harris <charlesr.harris at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > As a strawman proposal, how about dropping moving to 2.7 and 3.4 minimum
> > supported version next fall, say around numpy 1.12 or 1.13 depending on
> how
> > the releases go.
> >
> > I would like to here from the scipy folks first.
>
> Personally I would be in favor of this, because 2.7 and 3.4 are the minimum
> versions anyone should consider to use. However, for SciPy which heavily
> depends on Python code, the real improvement will be when we can bump the
> minimum Python version to 3.5 and write x @ y instead of dot(x,y). I am not
> sure of bumping the minimum version to 3.4 before that is worth it or not.
> But certainly dropping 2.6 might be a good thing already now, so we can
> start to use bytes, bytearray, memoryview, etc.
>
> Sturla

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov