[Numpy-discussion] When to stop supporting Python 2.6?

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers at gmail.com
Tue Dec 8 18:10:00 EST 2015

On Wed, Dec 9, 2015 at 12:01 AM, Chris Barker <chris.barker at noaa.gov> wrote:

> drop 2.6
>
> I still don't understand why folks insist that they need to run a (very))
> old python on an old OS, but need the latest and greatest numpy.
>
> Chuck's list was pretty long and compelling.
>
> -CHB
>

> On Mon, Dec 7, 2015 at 1:38 AM, Sturla Molden <sturla.molden at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Charles R Harris <charlesr.harris at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> > As a strawman proposal, how about dropping moving to 2.7 and 3.4 minimum
>> > supported version next fall, say around numpy 1.12 or 1.13 depending on
>> how
>> > the releases go.
>> >
>> > I would like to here from the scipy folks first.

+1 for dropping Python 2.6, 3.2 and 3.3 after branching 1.11.x. We're
already behind other projects like ipython, pandas and matplotlib as usual,
so there really isn't much point in being the only project (together with
scipy) of the core stack to keep on supporting more or less obsolete Python
versions.

Ralf